RE: [bug] Synchonization of registers window in h8300 Insight

Hi Keith,

Sorry for previous bad reply.

> > GNU gdb 5.1
> > Copyright 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public
> License, and you are
> > welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> > conditions.
> > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show
> warranty" for details.
> > This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin
> --target=h8300-hms".
>
> Can you send me two very simple executables to demonstrate
> the problem?
> (This prevents me from having to build compiler(s) and
> figuring out how to
> build them.)
>
> Please tell me the exact procedure you used to do this. Although I
> think I can guess, it never hurts to be sure. During this, please be
> explicit about what registers should appear when.
>
> For example,
>
> . load ex1.elf
> . break in main
> . run on simulator
> . open register window
> . notice registers foo, bar, baz
> (and so on)

I attach bzipped hello.out and hello.c (COFF with full gdb debug info).

Now, whats I do:

$h8300-hms-gdb
<Ctrl-R> (show regs. window)
Ok, Insight show me regs for h8300 (16 bits regs: r0...r6, sp, ccr ...)

Here started snapshot from console window ->
(gdb) show architecture
The target architecture is set automatically (currently unknown)

(gdb) file hello.out
(gdb) ta si
Connected to the simulator.

(gdb) lo
Start address 0x102
Transfer rate: 7360 bits in <1 sec.

(gdb) show architecture
The target architecture is set automatically (currently h8300s)

(gdb) set architecture h8300s
The target architecture is assumed to be h8300s

(gdb) show architecture
The target architecture is assumed to be h8300s

(gdb)

But Registers widow still show h8300 registers :((,
but must show: er0...er6, sp, ccr ...

> BTW, I think a workaround for your problem is to simply close
> the register
> window and re-open it, no?
>
> Keith

It's not so good idea, because h8300 and h8300s have different number
of hardware regs (it not implemented in current, but may will implement
in future ver. of gdb), and if I forget close Regs. windows before
changing architecture (through load or somehow else), then Insight
(not gdb) will die when I will try close this window :(.

Another warkaround, NETHER run gdb without args (ex. $h8300-hms-gdb
hello.out).

But, I think better way remain registers window blank (if it possible), or
invisible while architecture is unknown.

Andrey