Re: [RFC] Plugins: enhancements

On 24 Nov 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Keith> Using the following Makefile.in for rhabout, I can now
> Keith> successfully build and install the loadable module "rhabout":
>
> Keith>    include ../Make-rules
>
> This syntax for `include' isn't portable.  Automake has a macro to
> check for a few different include styles.  (Note that you can't be
> guaranteed that there is any include directive, but such systems
> aren't worth worrying about, imnsho.)

I'd love to use automake, but until I can get a clean split between gdb
and Insight's configury, I don't think this is possible. So for now, I am
stuck with using just Makefile.ins.

> Suppose I'm writing a third-party plugin.  How will I find this
> directory to install my files?  I ask because presumably the version
> number is in there anticipating that it will change someday.

Hmmm. Well, I guess there are some solutions... The third-party plugin
writer includes the copy of Make-rules which will tell it where to put it,
we can, as you say, make some sort of script to tell him where to put it,
or he can put it where ever he wants to, and then just tells Insight where
to find it.

I'm also sitting on patches to add an INSIGHT_PLUGINS environment
variable, which will be a colon-separated list of directories to search
for plugins.