Stops at "Checking Filesystem" on boot up.

Hi,
    I have jsut installed RH Linux 7.2 on a Athlon 950 MHz as a
Workstation.  First I tried upgrading from 7.1, changing from ext2 to
ext3.  It booted fine the first time,  but after the initial (first )
boot, if I tried rebooting again, it stopped at "Checking Filesystem"
and sat there with blinking cursor.
    I tried a clean install, first boot up, OK, but if I tried a reboot
or two, just to see if it was booting OK, the samething would happen.
 It's  strange whatever is going on at that point of the boot process.
    I usually let the system run for long periods, but shut it down when
I'm not using it.  When I noticed this problem,  I thought I would see
if it would happen again and it did. I have been using RH linux since
version 5.2 and haven't had a problem like this one.
    I'm sorry I haven't got any more to go on then this.
Cheers,
Scoob