Re: No step button using insight w/ remote target.

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Grant Edwards wrote:

> 829       if (target_has_execution && ! ptid_equal (inferior_ptid, null_ptid))
> Value returned is $3 = 1
> (gdb) print inferior_ptid
> $4 = {pid = 0, lwp = 0, tid = 0}
> (gdb) print null_ptid
> $5 = {pid = 0, lwp = 0, tid = 0}
> (gdb) print target_has_execution
> No symbol "target_has_execution" in current context.
> (gdb)
>
> "target_has_execution" is presumably a macro?

Yes:
#define target_has_execution    \
     (current_target.to_has_execution)

> Anyway, inferior_ptid _is_ null_ptid, so that's probably the
> issue.  The "value returned" bit is from which I did a "finish"
> to get back from ptid_equal(), IOW, ptid_equal() returned 1.

I'm not so certain that there is something wrong with your stub. Let's
back up a little and see if the ptid is ever created...

If you step through remote_open_1, does the following line ever get
executed?

  /* Without this, some commands which require an active target (such
     as kill) won't work.  This variable serves (at least) double duty
     as both the pid of the target process (if it has such), and as a
     flag indicating that a target is active.  These functions should
     be split out into seperate variables, especially since GDB will
     someday have a notion of debugging several processes.  */

  inferior_ptid = pid_to_ptid (MAGIC_NULL_PID);