Re: Problems building TCL for insight on cygwin & win2k

Keith,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Seitz" <keiths@cygnus.com>
To: "Andy Hare" <ahare@btinternet.com>
Cc: "Insight Mail list" <insight@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 10:00 PM
Subject: Re: Problems building TCL for insight on cygwin & win2k

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Andy Hare wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your input I am trying the configure again without the host=
> > line. The reason for the with-headers is that I am using newlib and the
> > compiler is to be used on an embedded ARM micro, the configure actually
> > configs the whole toolchain, binutils, gcc and insight.
>
> Ah. Okay. That makes sense.
>
> > uname -a gives
> > CYGWIN_NT-5.0 DUAL-BEAST 1.3.3(0.46/3/2) 2001-09-12 23:54 i686 unknown
>
> I just updated and rebuilt this using the same cygwin and gcc (current net
> release). It worked fine.

The makefile that is in (my case) /build/arm/tcl/cygwin has tclunix*
filenames within it, is this as you have built or did your make file use the
tclwin* files. i.e. the line:

libtcl_cygwin_a_SOURCES =   regcomp.c  regexec.c         regfree.c
regerror.c  tclAlloc.c  tclAsync.c  tclBasic.c  tclBinary.c  tclCkalloc.c
tclClock.c  tclCmdAH.c  tclCmdIL.c  tclCmdMZ.c         tclCompCmds.c
tclCompExpr.c  tclCompile.c  tclDate.c         tclEncoding.c  tclEnv.c
tclEvent.c  tclExecute.c  tclFCmd.c  tclFileName.c  tclGet.c  tclHash.c
tclHistory.c  tclIndexObj.c  tclInterp.c  tclIO.c  tclIOCmd.c
tclIOGT.c  tclIOSock.c  tclIOUtil.c  tclLink.c  tclListObj.c  tclLiteral.c
tclLoad.c  tclLoadNone.c  tclMain.c  tclNamesp.c  tclNotify.c  tclObj.c
tclParse.c  tclPanic.c  tclParseExpr.c  tclPipe.c  tclPkg.c  tclPosixStr.c
tclPreserve.c  tclProc.c  tclRegexp.c  tclTestProcBodyObj.c  tclResolve.c
tclResolve.c         tclResult.c  tclScan.c  tclStringObj.c
tclStubInit.c         tclStubLib.c         tclThread.c  tclTimer.c  tclUtf.c
tclUtil.c  tclVar.c  tclAppInit.c  tclUnixChan.c  tclUnixEvent.c
tclUnixFCmd.c  tclUnixFile.c  tclUnixNotfy.c  tclUnixPipe.c  tclUnixSock.c
tclUnixTest.c         tclUnixThrd.c  tclUnixTime.c  tclUnixInit.c

 I ask because the tclwin*.h files are then used in these files and there
are some missing #defines in the tclwin*.h files that exist in the
tclunix*.h files. Ian Roxborough mentioned a missing -mno-win32, that
certainly is missing from my makefiles and would ensure that the tclunix*.h
file were included.

> > Will let you know what happens with the new build when it finishes.
>
> Please remember that the trunk is experiencing some windows problems. You
> might consider using the 5.1 branch instead, unless you'd like to help us
> track some of these problems down. :-)

I am quite happy to help track the problems if I can. At the begining of the
year I was doing weekly builds of insight and the GNU toolchain but since
our first son was born and the MSc thesis I have been writing, life seems to
run out of time. I am now trying to keep up with the CVS and build the
toolset each week and then report any problems I find.

Andy Hare
www.ahare.btinternet.co.uk