Re: build insight on RH7.1

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Mike Sowka wrote:

> - I can only build stuff into my ~/ (./configure --prefix=/home/msowka)

Not a problem.

> - gdb 5.0 is already installed on the systems as rpm

Also not a problem.

> - I've tried building insight at home (--prefix=/usr, and gdb5.0 as rpms
> as well) and it wouldn't work

gdb5.0 was very bad for Insight. Try the 5.1 branch instead. These might
be available as snapshots. Worst case: use anonymous cvs to get the 5.1
branch. Instructions on how to do this are on the gdb page. Remember to
chek out the "insight+dejangu" module, not just the gdb module.

> Question(s):
> -how do I build insight into my ~/?

Simple. Use "--prefix=/home/msowka/INSTALLDIR". All of insight (including
its own versions of tcl, tk, tix, etc) will be installed there. Simply add
/home/msowka/INSTALLDIR/bin to the front of your path and viola! You'll
use the 5.1 gdb/Insight instead of /usr/bin/gdb.

> -do I need to rebuild gdb5.0 even though it's already there in the form
> of an rpm?

Nope. Just ignore gdb5.0

> -what's the scoop on the development snapshots: why do both gdb &
> insight include dejagnu... and how do I build THAT?

It's all automatic. When you download either the snapshot or checkout the
branch, you get all the sources you need to rebuild everything. Right now,
that means you'll get, bfd, gdb (and insight), dejagnu, expect, tcl8.0,
tk8.0, tix4.1, itcl3.0, and some other stuff. This "other stuff" is what
used to be called the "cygnus tree". It includes a toplevel configure
script which will build everything for you. All you need to do is run the
configure script (and optionally give it things like an install --prefix).

Dejagnu is the GNU testsuite framework, which is used by gdb, gas, gcc,
etc for testing.

So your process will (something) like:
$ cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src login
(Logging in to anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com)
CVS password: [enter "anoncvs"]
$ cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src co -r gdb_5_1-2001-07-29-branch insight+dejagnu
$ ls
src
$ mkdir obj; cd obj
$ ../src/configure --prefix=/home/msowka/insight-5.1
$ make; make install
$ export PATH=/home/msowka/insight-5.1/bin:$PATH
$ gdb -v
GNU gdb 5.0.91-2001-10-19-cvs (MI_OUT)
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu".

Please note that right now, you MUST use the tcl, tk, etc that comes with
the checkout. You CANNOT use pre-installed versions. We are working to
eliminate this dependency in the mainline right now. Hopefully we'll be
ready for that with the next release.