Re: [RFC] Automated User testing...

Keith Seitz wrote:
> Ok, so I know that we have support for warping the cursor in libgui, but
> how do you plan to generate events? I've found that either "event
> generate" doesn't work too well all the time, or I'm still doing something
> wrong. The console window tests fail most of the time because paste and
> keystroke events never appear to get delivered.

There is an eventutils package that goes with it.  It contains things
like:

# mouse_click : simulate a mouse being clicked in the widget
proc mouse_click { widget args } {
    raise [winfo toplevel $widget]
    pause 100
    eval event generate $widget <Enter> $args
    pause 100
    eval event generate $widget <ButtonPress-1> $args
    pause 100
    eval event generate $widget <ButtonRelease-1> $args
}

> This sounds like something that could be useful. It also sounds like
> something that could be a lot less than useful, depending on how it works.

Yeah, I agree, there is a chance that this could suck.  Hopefully
we'll either have it not suck or stop working on it as soon as
we realize it's hopeless and stop.  Getting it to work for Source-Navigator
will tell us early on if it's something we want for Insight.  I'll keep
hitting the Insight list for feedback when I've got something to
comment on.

> I suspect there's not much more to say beyond "sounds reasonable". Let us
> know more details when you have them!

I will do.

Ian.