Re: [RFC] Automated User testing...

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Ian Roxborough wrote:

> I would like to use sockets instead of the send command
> and would like to hear what people think.  For the time
> being I was thinking about setting an environment variable,
> INSIGHT_TEST_PORT to a port number, then launching Insight.
> When Insight see that INSIGHT_TEST_PORT is set, it connects
> to the port number on the localhost.  From there the tester
> application can send pseudo user events to Insight, and
> Insight just carries on as normal (unable to tell if it's
> the User pressing the buttons or the tester application).
>
> I kind of glossed over some details, but it's still
> in it's infancy.  Once I get it working a little better
> with Source-Navigator people can check it out.

Ok, so I know that we have support for warping the cursor in libgui, but
how do you plan to generate events? I've found that either "event
generate" doesn't work too well all the time, or I'm still doing something
wrong. The console window tests fail most of the time because paste and
keystroke events never appear to get delivered.

This sounds like something that could be useful. It also sounds like
something that could be a lot less than useful, depending on how it works.
I definitely like the idea of using sockets to communicate between a
test driver and the gui proper.

I suspect there's not much more to say beyond "sounds reasonable". Let us
know more details when you have them!