Re: [RFC] Adding labels to comboboxes...

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Ian Roxborough wrote:

> The labels I want to add:
>
> "File:" (or "Filename:") to the combobox contain a list of files.
>   "Function:" to the combobox containing a list of functions.
>   "Display:" (or "Mode:") to the display mode combobox.
>   "Find:" (or "Search") to the search box.  Since you need to hit return
>    to start the search anyway, the "Find:" label could easily become a
>    button (click on the button to do a search).

Hmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this, re: space to fill it, but I would
be happy to see the search thiny disappear altogether. Of course, where
would we put the stupid download thing, then? Argh!

If there is room for "File" and "Function", put them in. I'd like to whack
the stupid search thing and put it in a dialog -- it's a waste of room. It
is hardly used often enough to warrant such prominence.

I'm not inclined to augment the source window mode. I think that SOURCE,
SRC+ASM, MIXED, and ASSEMBLY are pretty explicit, but I'll defer if others
agree that it looks better. (Heck, show me a screenshot and I might
agree with you!)

> I would plan to do this by either adding a "-label" option to the
> combobox::combobox in libgui/library/combobox.tcl or by just packing
> labels into the frame (actually, I would be more tempted to use grid).

Oh, yeah, that thing. I would suggest just adding the labels in SrcWin (or
SrcTextWin or where ever that stuff lives). I'd like to leave
libgui's combobox alone right now while I passingly ponder it's fate...
:-)

> I'd be interested in what other people have to say.

Me, too. I've given my $0.02.