gdb_get_mem and run length encoding

I am running GDB-5.0 Release with Insight 5.0. I am using the Hitachi CMON monitor which incorporates a remote stub that has worked fine under GDB command line. I am having a problem with the memory window in Insight. I have narrowed it down to a problem with data that is run length encoded. I modified the stub to not use run-length encoding and the Insight memory window works correctly. I also used a serial data-line analyzer and saw that Insight was rejecting the run length encoded packets, i.e. sending a '-' sign. I compared the distribution SH-STUB.C (Hitachi SH) to the CMON version and this area of the code was pretty much the same. Has this been encountered by anyone and if so, how was it fixed?

Thanks,
John

AMT-Datasouth
jlowen@amtdatasouth.com