Re: Tcl/Tk 8.3 upgrade...

Keith Seitz wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Ian Roxborough wrote:
>
> > I'm finding yet more and more local changes to Tcl to make it play nicely
> > with Insight running from the build directory (the ones for launching
> > Tcl in tclInitScript.h).
>
> :-(
>
> > Is anybody going to mind if I install a script at build time to run
> > gdb out of the build directory.  Maybe call it run-insight.sh or something.
> > Everything works other than typing ./gdb in the build directory,
> > I'm not sure if this is worth all the code changes vs. a 7 line
> > shell script.
>
> I wouldn't like that, to be honest. That would mean I would have to
> install insight before I can debug it... That's not very developer
> friendly. What other problems are you hitting?

Yes, we must run Insight from the build directory.

Also, how would this affect testsuite runs?

Note that if we make insight's own main.c we can add some code to handle these situations.

> > It looks like it would be a good idea to revisit how Insight is
> > being launched, making SN location independant made a lot of things
> > easier (I was noticing that if I rename my install dir Insight doesn't
> > work any more).  But this is probably outside of the scope the Tcl/Tk
> > upgrade.
>
> I am playing with configury/automake for insight. This will completely rip
> insight out of the gdb directory. Alas, it is very complicated. I will
> need to test this on a great many machines before I can check it in.

Keith,

This will make it forever impossible for us to use any of the target configuration parameters that are set and available under the src/gdb directory hierarchy.

This means that we can only get information by adding a command to read the gdb "arch" stuff (I wonder if that is _all_ the information about targets -- but I guess one can propose and add anything that is missing).

I do have a couple of versions of Insight that cannot go into the main sources because they have some widgets and a few other things that are specific to the target.  We will need to establish the "official" way to test for architecture/target in the insight code.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com