Re: Patch: document sessions

On 11 Jun 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:

> This patch adds some rudimentary documentation for sessions.  Is this
> ok to check in?

Please do check it in.

> This is probably flamable, but I think it would make sense to rewrite
> the Insight docs in Texinfo.  One nice thing about Texinfo is that you
> can generate fairly nice HTML from it.  (Take a look at
> http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/ if you don't believe me.)
> This would be a win over the current situation; for instance we would
> get in-document navigation on every page.

Texinfo would be okay, but it was originally my intent that this online
help system be simple, "how do I..." help. No pictures, no huge
explanations of what things do. Unfortunately others did not share a
cohesive view of the help, and proceeded to add in all sorts of random
pictures (often with conflicting styles).

Eventually, it has grown into a more publishable format. I would rather
see the current (online) documentation get shoved into a paper user manual
and the whole "online" system re-written.

One concern I have with texinfo, though... From my (limited) experience,
it doesn't handle pictures very well. Although this would be fine for the
online docs (as I see them), I would not be very enthused to make a paper
user's guide using it...