Re: Separate preferences for native and cross debugger in Insight.

At 12:34 6/10/2001 -0400, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>Ton van Overbeek wrote:
>>
>> On June 5 I submitted a small patch to use separate gdbtk.ini files
>> for native and cross debuggers.
>
>It is a small patch, but it represents a significant change.
>
>I would particularly like to hear some comments from Tom Tromey about
>this change.  He has spent some time thinking about the way we organize
>preferences and have created our "session" facilities.
>
>BTW, I wonder if the "sessions" code should not be enough to solve your
>original problem...

Thanks for the pointer to the 'sessions' code. It does solve part
of my original problem. However things like window layout, which windows
open, etc. are not saved in a 'session'.
So when running (as in my case) both the native cygwin gdb and a cross
gdb/insight under cygwin there is still a mix of settings. Also a session
(= mainly exec file, search paths, etc.) for the native gdb is
garbage for the cross and vice versa.
There is no entry in the on-line help for 'sessions'. If I get to know
it a little bit better I might find to some time to propose an addition
to the srcwin help about sessions.

>No, your submission was correct.  You must understand that Open Source
>projects are based on volunteer work and people have day-time jobs.
>Eventualy we get hold up by work and some backlog builds up.  But do
>feel free to 'ping' us if you suspect you submission may have gone
>unoticed (yes, it may happen with so many e-mails).  Maintainers usually
>apreciate that people do that.

My previous message was indeed intended as a 'ping'.
I do have a full-time job myself, so I certainly do appreciate all
the volunteer work you guys put in. I can imagine the problems you must
have when you are working in one specific area of gdb/insight and then a
message comes in affecting a completely different area.

>And, regardless of what people decide (make this change or not), thank
>you for taking the time to do this.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Ton van Overbeek