Re: [Tcl/Tk 8.3 upgrade] Testing...

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Ian Roxborough wrote:

> I'm wondering what state the gdbtk test suit is in.  I'd really
> like to use it to make sure that I don't break anything while
> moving over to Tcl/Tk 8.3.

I just revamped the whole thing. It should now run. See
gdb/testsuite/gdb.gdbtk/README for some (painful) details.

> When I do a "make check" on gdb build with the current version of
> Tcl/Tk I get a bunch of failures in the gdbtk tests.  However if
> I do a "make check" on a gdb build with Tcl/Tk 8.3 it doesn't seem
> to get any fails on the gdbtk tests.  I'm assuming that this is
> because it's skipping over them?

There's probably an error. I presume that one of the *_LIBRARY env vars
that the testsuite exports is not good. What does gdb/testsuite/gdb.log
show? (Try running only one test: make RUNTESTFLAGS="browser.exp"
check-gdb)

> There are a number of places that gdbtk should be failing when
> build with Tcl/Tk 8.3.  One place is the proc escape_value
> (in prefs.tcl) which is using a regsub call to match "[]".  This
> and some other regexp/regsub need changed to work with Tcl/Tk 8.3,
> the changes aren't really such a big deal, but I'd be happier to
> see them fail in the test suit before I start fixing them.

Huh. The testsuite is in its infancy (still). It tests almost nothing...