Re: question about sessions

Tom Tromey wrote:

> I've noticed that lately I tend to start insight and then immediately load
> some saved session.
>
> It occurs to me that insight could do this for me.  If I invoke `gdb
> foo', and there is a session for `foo', then insight could
> automatically load that session.
>
> For me this would be very convenient.

For me too.

> However, it probably isn't always appropriate.

Well, one can always start gdb without specifying a file...

> One thing we could do would be to (optionally) pop up a dialog: "Load
> the `foo' session?".

I am not very found of those startup pop up boxes...

> Another thing we could do would be to have a command-line option which
> would load the session if it was found.
>
> Unfortunately, adding command-line options is a pain.  I wonder if
> maybe gdb should go the gcc route, and have a driver program to which
> option processing can be added.  Then we would install `gdb' and
> `insight', with the latter being a relinked gdb with new options
> added.  (Yes, this is different from what I've proposed in the past.
> But maybe being able to add insight-specific option processing is
> necessary?)

Yes, when/if the "insight" command is created, it can have the
appropriate behavior and switches without interfering with non-GUI GDB.

But maybe we can get GDB to accept a -ns (--nosession) option for us, so
whoever wants the old behavior (not loading the session) can make gdb
-ns and alias.

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300