Re: [RFA] New Event Model Prototype

Jim Ingham wrote:

> Keith,
>
> I have another question about this.  How were you planning to pass all
> the details about the event?  Will there be methods in the GDBEvent
> class to get out the event data?  It almost seems like you want to have:
>
> GDBEvent
>      ------> BreakpointEvent
>      ------> ExecutionStateEvent
>
> and ALL you ever pass to the dispatch method is an event of the
> appropriate class.  This would really simplify the code in the event
> listeners, and we wouldn't get into the situation of the current code,
> where the event handlers have to know the order of the parameters in the
> hook call, which is very fragile.

I agree with your concerns that the fixed position list of arguments (different for each event) is a drag.

Being able to do like Java exception and inherit the (classes corresponding to) the events you plan to use would be nice.

But how do we circumvent the itcl limitation that you cannot use multiple inheritance if the classes you are inheriting from have common ancestors?  Maybe this restriction has already been lifted, I am only as up-to-date as the itcl book...

Cheers,
Fernando

--
Fernando Nasser