Re: [RFA] New Event Model Prototype

Keith Seitz wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>
> > Keith Seitz wrote:
> > > it seems that it really would be better to call it something like
> > > GDBEvent or GdbEvent (gdbevent.it[hb]).
>
> > Jim's suggestion is to create _another_ new file (gdbevent.it? or
> > whatever),
> > not to rename GDBWin.  He even suggested that GDBWin inherits from this,
> > so the objects that are windows do not have to explicitly get GDBEvents
> > in.  Conversely, non-windows objects can inherit GDBEvents directly.
>
> Hmmmm.... Ok, I think I see where this is headed. I can only think of one
> or two uses for this right now, but maybe more opportunities for this
> will arise in the future.
>
> So, I'll make a new GDBEvent and have GDBWin inherit from that. Then I'll
> move the GDBWin event stuff into these files and leave GDBWin empty,
> since we don't have anything for it just yet. (I presume we intend to add
> some sort of default busy/idle handling and some such.)
>
> Am I getting closer?

I think you've nailed it.

The busy/idle handling is badly needed.  Jim wanted to use BLT's "busy"
for that, but we wanted to convert out of Tix so we don't grow the
source tree too much.  The only thing that is holding us is the Tix tree
in the variables.tcl, for which we wanted to use the BLT tree (the other
Tix widgets have corresponding iwidgets available).

Cheers,
Fernando

--
Fernando Nasser