Re: no gui when gdb launched

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Bob Waskosky wrote:

> Hi Kieth,
> Running ./gdb from the source dir worked fine. I'm assuming I can just copy
> that to my /usr/bin dir. I do notice an error when I do ./gdb -nw from
> the source dir though. I get the following error..

Ok, sounds like an installation error. You will need to do a "make
install" to get insight (and all of its wonderous support files)
installed. I would recommend putting these in /usr/local (the default) or
something. I would not suggest that you simply copy the EXE from the
build dir to where you would like it installed.

Insight knows where it should find its support files (tcl, tk, tix, itcl,
etc) (sorry -- you MUST use the versions that came with the insight
tarball you downloaded), so doing a "make install" is necessary. You can
always move all of that stuff later. It is the paths relative to the
exe's path which matters.

> This GDB was configured as "i586-pc-linux-gnu".
> Setting up the environment for debugging gdb.
> =2Egdbinit:5: Error in sourced command file:
> No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
> (gdb)=20
>
> What does this mean? I'm a bit of a newb with gdb.

When you run gdb in its build dir, it is loading ./.gdbinit, a gdb script
which will get you ready to debug gdb on itself. This script presumes you
will do "./gdb -nw gdb", so the error you are seeing is gdb complaining
that the script (generated at configure time) is attempting to do
something which requires a symbol table (probably setting a breakpoint).

The error is harmless though. You can tell gdb not to load this
preference file by passing "-nx", too.