Re: Overloaded vs variable?

I guess whoever wrote it had the following in mind (I am just guessing,
I was not around at the time):

MyWin::something can perform a calculation (check something) whenever
ManagedWin::frob is invoked.

I.e., cause the test for a condition specific to a subclass whenever the
base class method is invoked.  This could not be done with a variable
because the invocation is what is determining *when* the evaluation is
done.

I have no idea where this is useful in our code.

Also, the degenerate case (a constant value) does map to a protected
variable.  It may be more clear to test for the protected variable than
to use method overloading in that case.  I don't have any strong
feelings about it.

As far as I am concerned feel free to change it wherever it makes sense,
if it is more to your taste.

Cheers,
Fernando

--