Re: Insight info?

Raja Gobi wrote:

> Folks,
>
>     I am a complete novice in this area. I have started working
> on a GDB to debug a remote target. Any advice on the following
> will be greatly appreciated. I am working with Version 4.18.

4.18 is way to old.  Either base your work on the 5.0 (which is
already getting old) or use recent snapshots or even the
anonymous CVS version.

>     1. Is there any documentation on the overall code structure?

For gdb yes.  It comes with the source (the GDB Internals manual) as
the User manual does.

Nothing for the GUI part (yet).

>     2. What is the best approach to understand how all the pieces
> fit together?

Use SOurce Navigator.  It can be downloaded from the net.
Look at sources.redhat.com

>     3. What is a good book to read on the Tcl/Tk?

Welch Tcl and Tk 3/e

And the [incr Tcl/Tk] book by Smith

>     4. How can debug remote target? I did "set remotedebug 1" in
> the console window. I thought that this was supposed to display
> all the serial port transactions, but I did not see any. I also did
> "set serialdebug 1" and "set remotedebug 1", but these did not seem
> to have any effect either.

There are levels of verbosity.  Try "set remotedebug 2"
In newer releases it is "set debug remote 2".

And please, read the manuals and use the "help" command.

>     5. Where can I find the implementations of utilities like
> print_filtered(), printf_unfiltered(), etc. in the code base?

Use "grep" in your sources and you'll find them.
Your life will be considerably easier if you download and use
Source Navigator.

Good luck.

--
Fernando Nasser