Re: insight Digest 29 Nov 2000 00:57:44 -0000 Issue 263

Fabrice,

Be a little careful about this.  We took the arguments and their values out of the stack window because refetching them each time you stepped really slowed down stepping, particularly when used with the target board over a slow link, and/or when the stack was deep.  "bt" itself is a pretty slow command, and if you put all the work that it does into the Stack window, you are essentially forcing the user to do a "bt" for each step!

It might be better to put the arguments in a separate area of the Local Variables window, so you fetch it for the current frame when you stop, and then for the other frames you are interested in when you switch frames.  Another idea is to put disclosure triangles in the stack window, which open to reveal the arguments for a given frame?

Anyway, however you decide to implement this, be aware that the simplistic fetch & display 'em all attitude can cause pretty noticible lags in stepping, which usually ticks people off more than somewhat, and quite some...

Jim

On Tuesday, November 28, 2000, at 04:57 PM, insight-digest-help@sources.redhat.com wrote:

> From: Fabrice Gautier <Fabrice_Gautier@sdesigns.com>
> Date: Tue Nov 28, 2000  04:57:01 PM US/Pacific
> To: "'insight@sources.redhat.com'" <insight@sources.redhat.com>
> Subject: Backtrace (call stack) feature request
>
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed a difference between the information shown by the bt command
> and the information shown by the call stack window:
>
> The bt command shows the name and value of the parameter for each
> function,
> the call stack window shows the type of the parameter.
>
> I prefer the bt way. And would like to have the same in the window.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Fabrice Gautier
> fabrice_gautier@sdesigns.com