Re: Running Insight from CVS

Fernando Nasser wrote:

> Larry Smith wrote:

> > Something changed in the insight module in cvs from
> > sources.redhat.com.  A fresh checkout, config, build,
> > and install to a non-default directory leaves gdb unable
> > to run.  You need to add a link from the install directory,
> > libide/library to share/cygnus/gui.  It took me about a
> > day and half to figure this out.  This may be an install
> > problem or a configure problem, and I imagine it's related
> > to the renaming issue, but I'm not sure.

> There are no changes related to the renaming yet.  Nor any other changes in
> the install process that I am aware of (well, I've been away three weeks and
> may have missed something).

Hey, I was guessing...  =)

> It works for me, but maybe you are doing things a little bit different and triggering
> some bug.

Worked for me, too, until yesterday.  Then I started
getting the complaint:

> gdb
ide_initialize_paths failed: Can't find the GUI Tcl library in the
following directories:
    /usr/local/usr/share/cygnus/gui /usr/local/share/cygnus/gui
/usr/share/cygnus/gui /home/larry/rhwork/install/libgui/library
/usr/local/usr/share/cygnus/ide /usr/local/share/cygnus/ide
/usr/share/cygnus/ide /home/larry/rhwork/install/libide/library

By the way, this is not a great error message, there
isn't anything called the "GUI Tcl library", there
is just a bunch of tcl files in cygnus/gui.  I had
tried several rebuilds before I noticed that the
first several paths in the above message were looking
for .../cygnus/gui and decided that was what it was
really looking for.

> What was the configuration line that you've used?

../cvs/src/configure --prefix="/home/larry/rhwork/install"
--exec-prefix="/home/larry/rhwork/install"

> have you specified both --prefix and --exec-prefix or just --prefix?

Nope, both.

> What is the host?

From the configure log:
Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnu host.

> Where does your "install" program came from?

Just "make install"

> Have you looked at the log to see if there is any message from install about
> not being able to create a link?

I saw no complaints in the scroll.

> Does insight work from the build tree?

Hm!  Yes, it does.  Went to the build directory
and just did ./gdb.  I disabled the link that made
the install version work first, just to be sure.

regards,
--
 .-.    .-. .---. .---. .-..-. | "Bill Gates is just a monocle
 | |__ / | \| |-< | |-<  >  /  | and a Persian Cat away from
 `----'`-^-'`-'`-'`-'`-' `-'   | being one of the bad guys in a
       My opinions only.       | James Bond movie." -- D Miller