RFC: Project Preferences

One week or two ago I have asked for suggestion on where to put a
projects preference file.

No one came with a solution.  The reason is that there is none for the
model I was thinking off.  Silly me, that was the wrong model.

It seems clear to me now that the only "standard" location is the user's
home directory.  And we already have a file in there  --  the "global"
preferences file.

My proposal now is that we use "sessions" of that same file to store
project and target specific preferences.  We can add the appropriate
buttons to save things in the appropriate sessions and some simple
management so we can save/delete/switch preferences.

I came with this "target" preferences class when I was trying to determine
what should be global or project specific. For instance, the set of registers
that are shown or not are target, not project, specific.  We may allow someone
to override them for a specific project as well, but they tend to be the same
for all targets of the same kind.

Anyway, if nobody objects to the "sessions" approach, we can proceed to design.

We, of course, will need a volunteer to implement it.  I myself can do it in
December if none is available until then.

A nice person to implement this would be Larry Smith (he fixed some preferences
stuff the other day), but he is currently taking care of screening problem
reports and enhancement requests that have been accumulating.

Well, if someone else is up to it let me know.  But I really need to get this
in place before 2001.  I can't enter the new millennium (the real one)
having to go through the Target Selection dialog every time. ;-)

P.S.: Don't forget that you need an assignment to contribute significant
      changes or new features.

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300