Re: Lets rename insight to "insight" (imagine that)

mdejong@cygnus.com (Mo DeJong) writes:
> You think there is no confusion involved in taking over the
> name of a well known command and replacing it with the GUI
> tool? While I would agree that shipping two versions of
> gdb on a distro is none too good, it is better than
> not including Insight because it conflicts with the
> existing gdb install (which is our current situation).
> There are also lots of folks that would want to install
> Insight on an existing system. Do we tell those
> folks it is not possible to install Insight unless
> they first un-install the existing gdb RPM?

Right, so, support the Right Thing but allow for the Not Right But
Useful thing.  8-)

By default, support the "Right Thing": gdb and insight both built and
installed with the expected behaviour, and preferably only one single
'large' binary.

Supply configure option so that people who can't tolerate the Right
Thing (e.g. because they have a 'gdb' that they don't want to clobber)
can disable the use of the 'gdb' name and use insight -nw if they
really want that functionality.  For orthogonality, maybe do the same
thing and allow use of the 'insight' name to be disabled, requiring
use of 'gdb -w'

You say it isn't so hard to use "insight -nw" to get the non-windowed
version of gdb-with-insight-windowing-extensions.

It's not, but people expect to get gdb by typing "gdb."  8-)

It sounds like i'm not the only one who's had to provide a local
mechanism to allow both windowed and non-windowed versions to be
accessed easily, with the default 'gdb' getting the 'normal' gdb
behaviour, because of just this issue...

chris