Re: Insight 5.0 and GDB 5.0

bstell@netscape.com (Brian Stell) writes:

> Bruce Stephens wrote:
>
> > You might try explicitly undefining TK_USE_INPUT_METHODS in
> > src/tk/generic/tk.h.  In at least some linux X servers, this is quite
> > expensive.  (There was discussion of this a year or two ago on
> > comp.lang.tcl.)
>
> Wow, this is made a big improvement for me.

[...]

> (Let me change hats now)
> As an internationalization (i18n) engineer I must ask:
>
>     Does this "fix" disable non-ascii input?

I don't think so.  I think the TK_USE_INPUT_METHODS is for supporting
languages which use special X input methods---specifically Japanese.
So there's probably some reduction in functionality, but I'd guess
many non-ASCII characters would continue to work OK.  (Work in the Tk
sense, anyway---I've no idea how much gdb works with non-ASCII
characters.)

Judging by the comments in comp.lang.tcl, I'm not sure how much this
was ever tested by the Tcl guys, so it's possible that it was broken
anyway.

--
Bruce Stephens			Bruce.Stephens@MessagingDirect.com
MessagingDirect(UK) Ltd		<URL:http://www.MessagingDirect.com/>