RFC: Where should I look for project preferences

The idea is to add project preferences so that an engineer that works
on several projects and switch among them does not have to keep changing
preferences back and forth.

GDB does the non-GUI part of this by running the .gdbinit file from the
home directory and then the .gdbinit file in the directory from where
gdb was started (if they exist).

My idea is that we use the compiled in preferences as default, override
them with any global preferences and override the result with any project
preferences.  Of course, some preferences will only be saved in the
project preferences and we would add a "Save as global preference" option
where appropriate.

But I would like to know first, if the project preference file should
follow GDB and be located in the directory where Insight was started.

Before you say yes, think what would happen if we started it from an
icon (assuming that gdb is fixed and do work in that situation)?
Maybe not having project preferences at all, right?

I believe that if we start Insight from SourceNav there must be a way to
get the project directory, so this should not be a problem.  But should I call
something in libgui or should we add a parameter to gdb?

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300