Re: RFC: gdbtk/TODO file

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Fernando Nasser wrote:

> TODO:

I live in an embedded world; I would add:

1) Better support for assembly language debugging.

   In mixed and assembly mode - in effect, the source window would be
   a virtual window with no real top or bottom, and not be bound to
   the limits of the C file you are viewing.

   For instance, your I/O routines may be functions contained in a ROM
   monitor (and not part of your program), and you would like to
   assembly single step through them.

   Or maybe you have a library with no symbolic information but need
   to debug anyway.

2) A way of telling the GUI to reset and reconfigure it self.

   Change the program counter to an arbitrary address.  Now tell
   insight's source window (and all others) to fix them selves.

   ie:   (gdb)  set $pc=0x12345678

   How do I get the GUI to update it self to the new PC location?

   (Happens with simulators & rom targets when you issue a target
   command that GDB passes through and cannot understand)

3) The Ability to run without a target, and no symbols.
   [this is in a ROM or simulator world]

   Load and attach to the target (simulator or rom monitor) issue
   various "target/simulator" commands that make the program load into
   memory.  (that GDB does not know about, nor can you explain to GDB
   in any way)

   GDB can't seem to run unless it has loaded a file. That's not
   always required.

-Duane.