Re: insight Digest 9 Oct 2000 17:26:02 -0000 Issue 229

Eray,

Having a forked version of Tcl/Tk for Insight is definitely NOT a good thing.  I don't think that anyone would argue with you about this.  And one of the goals for the Insight project, as shown in the TO DO list that Fernando posted last week, is to rectify this situation.  It is a major bar to getting Insight accepted in most of the Linux distributions, since it is not just "not the Debian way" - NOBODY wants to replicate versions of basic libraries like Tcl...

If I remember correctly, there are two major areas that need to be worked out for this to happen.

There are some Cygwin hacks to Tcl that are needed to get Insight to build on Windows.  I think that Mo DeJong has been working with the Tcl folks to get these fixes back into the Tcl sources, but I don't know the status of this work.  While this is probably not terribly important to the Debian world, Cygnus/Red Hat do sell a Windows based toolchains (when I left, they in fact sold more Windows toolchains than Linux ones, in an odd, ironic twist of fate...)  So getting this right is a matter of some importance.

The other bit is that the Regular expression module in Tcl changed a fair bit between Tcl 8.0 and Tcl 8.2.  The changes were very good, IMHO, including support for the Perl-style extensions to regular expression syntax, and Unicode support in regular expressions.  However, they did introduce subtle incompatibilities in the regexp syntax, which cause problems with the gdb test suite.  For distributions of Insight/gdb, this is not fatal, but it is for the main line of gdb, since you have to have a working test suite for on-going development to be viable.

If there are any others that I have forgotten, we should get them listed for completeness sake...

I agree with you that this is a very important "wrinkle" in Insight that needs to get worked out.  There are, however, some details that you haven't hit yet that need to be fixed before the job can be considered done.

Jim