Re: Insight TCL does not understand cygwin filenames

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 01:57:06PM +0100, Tim Chick wrote:
>When I compile a simple hello.c file with cygwin gcc,
>say /src/test/hello.c
>then try to debug this file with insight, I get a stack
>trace, "could not stat file /src/test/hello.c"

This has been recently discussed on the insight and cygwin mailing
lists.  I will be uploading a new version of gdb to

ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/gdb

sometime tonight.  It should rectify this problem.

However, as I have just pointed out in another message, insight
has never had the ability to open files based on cygwin paths
when using a dialog box.

>The tcl supplied with insight does not understand cygwin
>filenames, so tries to stat "\src\test\hello.c"
>
>As I have / mounted as e:\cygwin1.1, tcl should try to stat
>E:\cygwin1.1\src\test\hello.c
>
>Modifiying the Tcl_TranslateFileName function, in
>insight-5.0\tcl\generic\tclFileName.c as follows
>corrects this, and Insight works correctly.
>
>Compare: (<)E:\cygnus\src\original\insight-5.0\tcl\generic\tclFileName.c
>   with: (>)E:\cygnus\src\insight-5.0\tcl\generic\tclFileName.c
>
>923a923,927
>>     char dos_name[PATH_MAX];
>>
>>     cygwin_conv_to_win32_path( name, dos_name );
>>
>>     name=dos_name;
>
>Note that if I happened to have / mounted as E:\ insight
>would have worked without the above patch.

You might want to consider sending a patch and a ChangeLog entry
to gdb@sourceware.cygnus.com to see if it will be accepted into
the mainline sources.

cgf