Remote Debugging

Hey All,
    I'm new to Insight and even fairly new to GDB.  I'm trying to do
some remote debugging of an embedded system.  I do have a monitor and
keyboard/mouse for the target, so I hvae access to it.  I have tryed
connecting to the target system, deathstar in this case, using a variety
of port numbers but to no avail.  Do I need to be running gdbserver on
the target.  I have Insight 5.0 running on the host.  The host is
running Redhat Linux 6.2 and the Embedded system is running TimeSys
Linux/RT 1.0.
    If I do need gdbserver, where do I get it or how do I invoke iit?

Thanks,
Michael E Crowe
Software Engineer
TimeSys Corporation