Re: Insight Bug?

Paul_Heijman@eu.omron.com wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I encountered the following, of what I think is a bug of Insight:
>
> When I use the 'finish' button to complete a function, Insight apparently uses
> breakpoints for this (they are hidden someway).
> The problem is that when I press the 'continue' button afterwards, the 'hidden
> breakpoint' GDB used for the 'finish' function, is still there.
> Result: the program stops again.
>
> I hope I explained the problem well enough for you, if I didn't, let me know.

First of all: which host and which target are you talking about?
Which version of insight (gdb) are you using?  Where did you get it from?
How was it configured/compiled?  What is your O.S. version?

Te underlying debugger mechanism is very dependent on the architecture, OS
support and other details.  Problems may arise on a specific platform and not
on others.  Sometimes just in a specific OS version.  For remote targets,
sometimes is a problem with communication or withing a certain version of a
ROM monitor.

If you tell what your platform is, people with similar setups may be able to
help you with problems that the others may have no clue.

Another very important test one should do when encountering a problem while
using the GUI is to try running gdb with the command line interface.

Invoke gdb with "gdb -nw yourprog" (assuming you are debugging natively on a host)
and try the "finish" command at the same situation as above (try repeating the
corresponding actions you performed with the GUI).

This way we will know if it is a gdb problem or a GUI problem.  In you case, it must
be a gdb gdb probem as the GUI works fine on many systems.  If this is indeed the
case, please post your question to the gdb list as there may be people who have
seem your problem before or have some idea on how to investigate it further.  This is
the GUI list and people who sign to it are more into the user interface bits.

Regards.
F.

--
Fernando Nasser