Re: Insight exits abrupt when trying to view in ASM or MIXED mode.

Paul_Heijman@eu.omron.com wrote:

> Does this sound familiar to anyone:
>
> I am using Insight to remote-debug a 68000 microcontroller.
> Almost everything works perfect. After loading the .cof file into GDB, I can
> step through the (C) source code.
> When I try to view the ASSEMBLY code (in ASSEMBLY or MIXED view mode), Insight
> closes without any error message!

When you say that you load the ".cof" file, are you loading symbols only
or the executable with symbols? (Are you using Insight's
File->Open/console window's "file" command or using the console command
"add-symbol-file"?)

For the record, let me say (just to warn anyone out there), NEVER use
just the "add-symbol-file" command without ever having used the "file"
command (or File->Open). The problem that ofter arises in Insight
involves disassembling memory. Specifically, Insight does not access
memory on a non-native target the same way that gdb does.

Gdb will always access memory from the executable file UNLESS you're
attached to a target (with the "target" command or its equivalent in
gui-land). When you're attached, gdb will read memory from the actual
target. ALL memory accesses, including disassembly, occur this way.

Insight/gdbtk, on the other hand, will almost always access memory from
the executable on non-native targets. This was added to aid developers
using remote targets with slow communications facilities (like a 9600
baud serial line using a monitor -- yich!).

So, you already state that all disassembly isn't working, so that's a
strong hint that something like this may be happening (gdbtk cannot get
at the memory or something). Can you disassemble BEFORE attaching
(again, ASSEMBLY mode or from console window)?

What version of gdbtk are you using? (Type "show version" in console
window or run "gdb -v".)

Why chat when you can Firetalk?
Firetalk ID: Keith (10320)
www.firetalk.com