Re: How to block local variables?

Leon Pollak wrote:

> At 11:29 24/04/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >Leon,
> >
> >You are right about how Insight updates local variables.  The only
> >way to stop this is to close the local variables window.  You can use
> >the Watch window to selectively watch particular variables instead.
>          Jim, please, excuse me to return to this, but the window was
> closed and all my experiments show (I know that this may be incorrect, but
> still...) that the window is updated (or the corresponding data is
> retrieved?) even been closed. May it be?
>          Once more, excuses.

Hi Leon,

Could you elaborate on what evidence led you to believe that the variables are still being updated?
You did close the window, did not minimize it, right?

The Local Variables window creates something that we call variable objects.  However, those are
destroyed when they are not visible.  Even if they were not, the "check for updated values" routine
must be called for any action to be taken, and that would require the window to be open and
processing events.  The mechanism is not active, but passive.

You may be seeing some other activity.  There are loads of things that go on when gdb starts/stops
the target program.  If you give us some more hints we may be able to guess what is it that you are
seeing.

Regards,
Fernando

--