Re: Power PC Application

William Blum wrote:

> We are working on a Motorola MPC860 Power PC project and want to use
> Insight as the debug platform.  The target PPC is a 'bare' system.  We
> plan to access the target using Macraigor 'Wiggler' or 'Blackbird' On
> Chip Debug" (OCD) devices.  We have the PPC cross-toolchain, based on
> egcs, in place and functional.  Can you tell us how we can go about
> applying Insight for use in such an environment?

The Wiggler is only useable on MS-Windows systems.  I don't know of any
wiggler drivers for any other OS which is quite annoying; but that's life
I guess.  I did a Canadian cross-compile of  Insight the was targeted for
powerpc-eabi and hosted on a MS-Windows machine using the Cygwin
environment.  It seem to run but it did crash or play up quite often.
This was the very first release of Insight so I put it down to it's
imaturity.  Apart from being buggy, the GUI was not settup for remote
downloads to embedded systems.  The only way to target the wiggler BDM
was to go to the gdb command prompt and type the usual setup stuff (eg.
"ocd wiggler lpt").  You will need a startup script to initialise the 860
registers and memory map etc.  One day I'll get around to looking at
Insight again.  We are currently using SDS Single Step on MS-Windows.  I
would dearly love to run Insight (preferably on a Linux box).

Brendan Simon.