Remote debugging via server

I would like to use GDB to debug an embedded OS where the embedded OS has a
gdb server process that can attach to any thread. It is not clear to me
whether the GDB protocol currently supports this.  In our system we have
inetd fire up the gdbserver thread when gdb tries to connect.

I would like to be able to issue a target command, info threads command,
and then an attach command.

For example

  gdb> target remote <mytarget>:<myport>
  gdb> info threads
  gdb> attach <myfavoritethread>

Is this currently supported?  Is there a reason why it couldn't be
supported in a general why so as not to be OS specific?

Thanks, Tom