compiling and using insight

Jeff,

Couple of things.  First, Insight is the official (i.e. marketing)
name for what we have internally been calling GDBTk for quite some
time now.  Thus the few references to Insight.  Consider GDBTk a
misspelling of Insight (everyone knows engineers can't spell!)

GDBTk is a compiled in front end to gdb, so you can't use your extant
gdb.  It also relies on some hacked version of Tcl/Tk (various bug
fixes we needed that haven't made it into the Scriptics sources...)

We will work to remove the dependency on our local Tcl hacks over
time, so that you can use the Net version (though it will probably be
the 8.2 version when we get to this.)  But GDBTk will remain a
compiled in extension to gdb, so it will require rebuilding gdb.

So, having said all this, how to build it?  Just like any other bit of
GNU software, untar is somewhere, if you are building a native
debugger, do

./configure --prefix=/wherever/you/want
make all-gdb
make install-gdb

and if all goes well, in an hour or so you should be done.

Jim