Re: INSIGHT: with GNU cross-compilers.

> I have compiled egcs-1.1.2 as a powerpc-eabi cross compiler hosted on
> Linux and also hosted on cygwin.  Can Insight be used as a frontend to
> powerpc-eabi-gdb ?  I've done this with DDD and Linux so I was hoping
> Insight would do something similar (especially in the Win32
> environment).

Look at it another way, is there any theoretical reason why it shouldn't
work? :-) Please let us know how it goes.

> I believe that Insight is written in tk/tcl which I believe are
> scripting languages.  But the cygwin version has a .exe entension and is
> a binary file.  I am misunderstanding something but I'm not sure what it
> is.  I thought that tk uses the "wish" interpreter.  Can someone set me
> straight on this ?

One simple non-tcl hacker (1) description of Insight is: GDB + tcl/tk
interpreter/GUI-environment + extra tcl commands that directly access
GDB internals ([incr tcl] is in there somewhere :-).  ``wish'' is a
binary that just contains the tcl interpreter + tk GUI stuff.  The big
difference between GDBtk (er Insight) and other debuggers like DDD is
that Insight can directly access the internals of GDB (zero CLI
overhead) via those extra tcl commands.  (The other big difference is
that the GUI proper is in a scripting language allowing rapid
customization).

When you run gdb.exe, it (by default) starts up the tcl interpreter
passing it the insight tcl scripts.

	enjoy,
		Andrew

(1) I think I qualify well for this :-)