Re: insight/235: "Step" and "Next" doesn't work. Instead I get "StepAsm Inst" and "Next Asm Inst"

The following reply was made to PR insight/235; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: iainmelvin <iainmelvin@gmail.com>
To: insight-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: insight/235: "Step" and "Next" doesn't work. Instead I get "Step
 Asm Inst" and "Next Asm Inst"
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:33:56 +0100

 i had almost exactly these symptoms, and the problem was fixed for me by
 typing...
 (gdb) set solib-absolute-prefix /
 ... into the command line window in insight.

 The apparent 'step' and 'next' inactivity is due to gdb not being able
 to set breakpoints for the step/next behaviours.
 Not being able to get paths to libraries seems to affect gdb's ablity to
 set breakpoints.

 The solib-adbsolute-prefix variable is set at configure time for both
 gdb and insight, and the defaults i have in my debian [sarge 3.1] are..
 gdb [gdb 6.3-debian] has the default : ""
 insight [GNU gdb 2004-08-11-cvs] has the default : "/usr/share".
 when I set the value to "/usr/share" in gdb, it has exactly the same
 broken behaviour with 'next' and 'step'.

 I guess this is down to the distribution to get the config right, so
 I've sent this to bugs at debian:
 nice debugger though :)