Re: Guile is becoming as fast as rep

Keisuke Nishida writes:
|Do you think I can port some of your compiler code to Guile?

I'm not sure, it's compiling a different (less clean) language than
scheme, and parts are tailored to the rep module system

it's not a great compiler anyway, one of the things on my todo list is
to rewrite it to allow more high-level optimization (btw, have you seen
the documentation for the Twobit compiler? it's quite interesting)

|Yes, I agree, and I'm going to save bytecodes in files, too.
|However, I often find byte-compiling is too tedious while writing
|Lisp/Scheme code.  I never, for example, byte-compile Emacs Lisp
|code while developing it.  (Maybe everyone.)

yeah, I often just use the sexp-interpreter when developing, the speed
differences usually don't bother me too much

|During development I want to load programs from source files, not
|compiled files, but still want them to run fast.  By dynamically
|compiling the program, we would obtain the same speed just at the
|expense of loading time.  I think this is good.

For larger projects I often need to do `make install' before I can test
the code anyway, so compilation happens automatically

Anyway, I agree it would be good to compile code as its loaded, as long
as there's also a way to load precompiled code (though I guess you
would avoid bytecode compatibility problems by compiling from source
each time a file is loaded..)

	John