Re: Octave and Guile?

>>>>> "John" == John Daschbach <d3h486@wd19518.emsl.pnl.gov> writes:

>>>>> "jwe" == John W Eaton <jwe@bevo.che.wisc.edu> writes:

    jwe> I'm not suggesting that Octave be rewritten in Guile.
    jwe> Instead, I would modify Octave to emit Scheme code, and have
    jwe> Guile interpret it.

    John> Depending on semantics, that *is* rewriting the Octave interpreter in
    John> Guile, except that your parser and lexer to go from Octave to scheme
    John> would not have to be in scheme and you could use a stock guile repl.

 So it would be kind of like working in `Maxima' then?  `Maxima' is
 implemented in Common Lisp (it runs in GCL) and you can go back and
 forth from the Maxima REPL to the Lisp REPL as you please.  You can
 (well, someone can) code extenditsomes in either Maxima's language,
 or in Common Lisp.

 Just to tie some things together here in one place...  Search them at
 Google; they are easy to find.

 Maxima, Jacal, Emacs Calc - Computerized symbolic algebra.  (Calc's
 stack and RPN features are great interface.)

 TeXmacs - a WYSIWYG TeX editor with interface to computer algebra
 systems, embedded Guile, and guile-gtk interface.

 Hrrmmm... Geomview?