Re: International Character Sets in Guile

> Ian Grant <Ian.Grant@cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Does anybody know what the favoured plan is?
>
> There is an unfinished proposal for an API for multibyte characters in
> Guile in guile-doc/ref/mbapi.texi and mltext.texi.

mbapi.texi: This is a nice document.  Apart from the issue mentioned of
scm_iconv_* being too 'heavyweight', what's missing from this proposal?

mltext.texi: I can see this is incomplete. Also, it ignores some of the
problems with case conversion.  What was the starting point for this?  Was the
author going through the existing scm_ functions in strings.c or something to
come up with the multi-byte scm_mb_ versions?  I want to know if there's some
way I can start to derive what else should be in here. Or is it pure creative
imagination?

> SRFI-13 and 14 may also be relevant.

They don't make any requirements not met by the interfaces described in
mbapi.texi, as far as I can see.  A lot of the really difficult issues with
case-folding etc are punted, if that's the correct term meaning "to assume
they'll be dealt with by some other means."

Ian
--
Ian Grant, Computer Lab., New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge
Phone: +44 1223 334420          Personal e-mail: iang at pobox dot com