Re: Merging guile-doc distribution into guile-core distribution?

Mikael writes:

   I propose that we merge the documentation into the guile-core
   distribution.

   I think experience shows that people don't usually find guile-doc.  In
   any case, merging the documentation into guile-core will decrease the
   resistance to start using the manual.

   Opinions?

Completely agree, except for one quite important problem: during the
period where the reference manual is still being substantially
improved, we are likely to want to make doc releases more often than
we need to make releases of the rest of guile-core.

(And the testing burden for code releases is more than for doc
releases, so just agreeing to release the whole of guile-core more
often is not a straightforward solution.)

Perhaps the solution is to manage the doc as a subdistribution of
guile-core, so that

- guile-core includes the doc, per your suggestion

- but we are also free to make doc-only releases in between times

- the doc subdist builds either independently or as a subdirectory of
  guile-core.

Regards,

	Neil