Support for unexec:ing in libguile (Re: Code compiling (marshalling?))

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> The main point, writing the internal `machine code' to disk, works
> well, too.  It is not as fast as I hoped it would be, and I need to
> investigate where the time is spent.  Loading the code itself is just
> one mmap, but recreating the Scheme literal objects like symbols,
> strings, lists likely takes quite some time.

All Schemes I know which load fast do that because they dump an image
and loads it at startup.

Emacs has shown that this can be done fairly portably.

I like the approach, because I think it is really silly to have to
worry about loading time when you work on the core scheme code.

Right now, for example, I'd like to include loading of the R5RS macros
in boot-9.scm, but I can't do that because it would add a few hundred
milliseconds to startup time.

What about adding easy-to-use unexec support to libguile?

Can we use your old unexec code?

/mdj