Re: flaming (Re: continuation and multi-threading)

Jost Boekemeier <jostobfe@calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:
>
> > Sure, we want to have fast continuations, but we even more want to
> > have a fast VM soon.
>
> Normally I am all for that dev. model but in this case I think that
> fast continuations should be requirement.

For this time around, we have decided not to require fast
continuations.

> Without them I can see the day when app developers start to hack
> tagbody/go/catch/throw and all that to circumvent guile's slow
> continuations.

Call/cc is not at all required when translating other languages into
Scheme.  (And, using continuation passing style during translation has
nothing to do with producing call/cc in the translated code, if
someone thinks that.)

I agree that it can be convenient, though.

> [I hope I can give a concrete solution until next monday]

OK.  Sounds interesting.