Re: flaming (Re: continuation and multi-threading)

Jost Boekemeier <jostobfe@calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> I think that pushing his VM towards stack copying is a bad idea if we
> haven't tried other possibilities.

There is a delicate balance here.

On one hand it's important that the VM design doesn't have important
limitations so that we won't be able to use it for Guile.

On the other hand, Keisuke has three weeks left of his vacation, and
we wouldn't like to spoil his inspiration by building barriers for
him, or force him to work on things which can be postponed, or force
him to read too much email for that matter.  ;-)

In my first posts on this thread I asked Keisuke to shortly study
continuations.  I trust that his sharp mind will then see what
limitations to avoid, to the extent this is possible without
rethinking the design at this point.

The stack copying post was aimed at encouraging him to continue
working on the central things on the VM by showing him a simple
solution which would work for his VM.

Sure, we want to have fast continuations, but we even more want to
have a fast VM soon.