Re: compiling syntax and macro

Keisuke Nishida <kxn30@po.cwru.edu> writes:

> So what about defining macros only by using define-syntax and evaluating
> them at compile time?  I suppose R5RS doesn't require the above behavior
> Guile does now.

No, that's correct.

The long-term plan is to move from the current macro system to
syntax-case macros (a superset of the R5RS macros).

  http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~dyb/papers/syntactic.ps.gz

Such macros are expanded at compilation time.

They will not be objects.

We already have an implementation of such a macro system in the module
(ice-9 syncase).

If you start supporting such macros already now, that's a good thing.
I think it's possible to do it in stanges so that the work load is
reasonable.  Also, this is something you should be able to count on
getting help implementing.