Re: guile-vm-0.0

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> Nice!  I think I might want to get into a friendly competition with
> your VM with my tree-compiler.  Right now, your VM runs circles around
> my evaluator, probably because you have inline functions, while I
> don't.

Yes, I think my VM will work on top of the existent evaluator.
Both have different benefits, and probably two can cooperate.

> However, the first point that struck me: does your VM perform
> tail-call optimizations, as required by the RnRS?  I couldn't test it
> myself, because the compiler failed for me like this:

Not yet, unfortunately.  I don't want to have the VM take care of such
optimizations; instead, I need to improve the compiler.  The compiler
is far from completed.  I'll tackle this from now..

> I guess your primary goal is to improve the speed of Guile, right?  I
> want to reduce loading time, on the other hand.  So hopefully, we can
> combine our efforts and have high speed and fast loading.

That is one.  Other possibilities are

 o To dump the bytecode in a file and improve loading time.

 o To compile any language into the bytecode and share code.

 o To translate bytecode into C and improve speed.

I think the evaluator is more suitable for interactive use during
development, while the VM is more suitable for execution of completed
programs.

BHW, my primary goal is not to improve the speed of Guile but to
improve my skill of programming :)  Since I've never written a
compiler, this is just fun.