Re: debug evaluator is faster than regular one?

Keisuke Nishida <kxn30@po.cwru.edu> writes:

> Michael Vanier <mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu> writes:
>
> > > I suspect I've just missed something here, but if guile uses gcc's computed
> > > gotos (what qscheme uses) won't that mean guile could *only* be compiled
> > > with gcc.  If so, wouldn't that be a "bad thing?"
> >
> > No, you haven't missed anything, and yes, it would be a bad thing.
>
> Guile is part of "the GNU Project" and should work with "the GNU Product",
> in my humble opinion.  I'm not saying that I'm ignoring non-GCC users.
> I just want to utilize this nice feature.  Supporting non-GCC is certainly
> possible (but will be later).

The Hugs implementation of Haskell uses a bytecode interpreter that
uses "computed goto" when compiled with gcc and "switch" otherwise.
It does this with a few lines of preprocessor hacks; the main body of
the bytecode interpreter is shared between the two compilation
variants.  You might want to look how they do it.

Carl Witty