NOISE: list etiquette

   From: jldasch@3-cities.com
   Date: 21 Jul 2000 07:04:41 -0700

   To post such a message in the context of a news group as a response
   demonstrates only that the author lacks both the logical skills
   required to craft a response germane to the antecedent message in the
   thread and the human discourse skills necessary to craft a message
   that contains anything other than computer generated flotsam.

   Out of band duplicate messages sent simultaneously with newsgroup
   messages are sent as a courtesy.  Their existence is irrelevant to the
   discussion under consideration.  No reply was posted to the newsgroup,
   the relevant forum, and I simply noted that fact.  I did post my
   message from a machine which is behind a firewall and the mail rewrite
   rules are not properly configured.  However, posting the message above
   to the group demonstrates behavior orthogonal to mature newsgroup
   discourse.  Presumably, or more precisely possibly, you responded in
   reasoned prose to points in my lengthy post.  The correct forum for
   this is the newsgroup, with possible simultaneous mail to me.  When I
   posted the *fact* that no response to my post had appeared in the
   newsgroup you spat out an incomplete message, the contents of which
   demonstrate only that you failed to follow common list protocol and
   courtesy.  Any mature discourse on this would have included a preamble
   and appended the contents of your original message.

   A psychological study of the denizens of the guile community and the
   project might be good PhD project.  There are intelligent people here,
   but some have lost touch with the fact that guile is a language.  One
   can define different metrics for measuring a language, but all must
   include that it is used by people to communicate.  The guile community
   seems to think that by working in isolation, ignoring any potential
   users, and continuing to claim that *someday* guile will be the
   perfect implementation of scheme, it will create a language which will
   be widely used for a range of tasks.  This is in distinct contrast to
   how most languages (human, mathematical) are developed, where syntax
   is developed as needed and refined with time.  It would be difficult
   to imagine that by ignoring at this stage some of the potential users
   of guile and their troubles with the current design that you would
   someday develop a language that these same users found usable.

if someone bases their phd project on studying the guile community, they
will probably never get their phd. ;->

now that you've committed a rather verbose form of self-ostracism, i
will point out that we still love you anyway (and would love your well-
crafted patches to code, docs or webpages, also).  to transform your
inarguable frustration into something constructive in this way would be
very nice.  however, we cannot accept patches to people at this time;
you will have to work on your own proprietary source (unless it is
already bug-free ;-).

thi