Re: Making xfig drawings with scheme

rm@mamma.varadinet.de writes:

 > On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 11:41:34AM -0400, Harvey J. Stein wrote:
 > > [...]
 > > Not really.  Everything becomes a sequence of rather basic postscript
 > > commands.  For example, it doesn't make use of the postscript looping
 > > constructs and doesn't expose them to the scheme programmer.  So, for
 > > example, a loop generating 1000 nested squares becomes 1000 postscript
 > > polygon draw cmds instead of becomming a loop in postscript to
 > > generate the nested squares.
 > >

 > ... and that might be a problem for complex drawings. There is an
 > upper limit for certain things in PostScript (and often enough it's
 > anoyingly low ...). Off course it would be rather simple to have
 > a function 'ps-loop-over' or 'ps-for-char-in' (boy, i'm finally back to
 > postscript programming ;-)

It looks simple, but I don't think it really is simple.  You run into
issues of correspondence btw scheme variables & postscript variables,
function calling, etc.  What do you do with things like:

   (ps-do-loop (i 1 (sin x)) (draw line (my-function i) (* 2 (sqrt (my-other-function j)))))

--
Harvey Stein
Bloomberg LP